Lyrics and poems
Definitions of suit:
- noun: a set of garments (usually including a jacket and trousers or skirt) for outerwear all of the same fabric and color
Example: "They buried him in his best suit"
- noun: playing card in any of four sets of 13 cards in a pack; each set has its own symbol and color
Example: "A flush is five cards in the same suit"
- noun: a petition or appeal made to a person of superior status or rank
- noun: a businessman dressed in a business suit
Example: "All the suits care about is the bottom line"
- noun: a comprehensive term for any proceeding in a court of law whereby an individual seeks a legal remedy
Example: "The family brought suit against the landlord"
- noun: a man's courting of a woman; seeking the affections of a woman (usually with the hope of marriage)
- verb: be agreeable or acceptable to
Example: "This suits my needs"
- verb: be agreeable or acceptable
Example: "This time suits me"
- verb: accord or comport with
Example: "This kind of behavior does not suit a young woman!"
- verb: enhance the appearance of
Example: "This behavior doesn't suit you!"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #45241)
Search for suit at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Copyright © 2015 Datamuse