Definitions of suffer:
- verb: undergo or be subjected to
Example: "He suffered the penalty"
- verb: undergo or suffer
Example: "Suffer a terrible fate"
- verb: be given to
Example: "She suffers from a tendency to talk too much"
- verb: feel pain or be in pain
- verb: undergo (as of injuries and illnesses)
Example: "She suffered a fracture in the accident"
- verb: feel unwell or uncomfortable
Example: "She is suffering from the hot weather"
- verb: endure (emotional pain)
Example: "Every time her husband gets drunk, she suffers"
- verb: get worse
Example: "His grades suffered"
- verb: be set at a disadvantage
Example: "This author really suffers in translation"
- verb: put up with something or somebody unpleasant
- verb: feel physical pain
Search for suffer at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse