Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of study:
- noun: a room used for reading and writing and studying
Example: "He knocked lightly on the closed door of the study"
- noun: a state of deep mental absorption
Example: "She is in a deep study"
- noun: applying the mind to learning and understanding a subject (especially by reading)
Example: "No schools offer graduate study in interior design"
- noun: a composition intended to develop one aspect of the performer's technique
Example: "A study in spiccato bowing"
- noun: someone who memorizes quickly and easily (as the lines for a part in a play)
Example: "He is a quick study"
- noun: a detailed critical inspection
- noun: preliminary drawing for later elaboration
- noun: attentive consideration and meditation
- noun: a written document describing the findings of some individual or group
Example: "This accords with the recent study by Hill and Dale"
- noun: a branch of knowledge
Example: "Anthropology is the study of human beings"
- verb: give careful consideration to
- verb: learn by reading books
Example: "He is studying geology in his room"
- verb: be a student; follow a course of study; be enrolled at an institute of learning
- verb: think intently and at length, as for spiritual purposes
Example: "He is meditating in his study"
- verb: be a student of a certain subject
- verb: consider in detail and subject to an analysis in order to discover essential features or meaning
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #28267)
Search for study at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse