Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of string:
- noun: a lightweight cord
- noun: a tightly stretched cord of wire or gut, which makes sound when plucked, struck, or bowed
- noun: a collection of objects threaded on a single strand
- noun: a linear sequence of symbols (characters or words or phrases)
- noun: a sequentially ordered set of things or events or ideas in which each successive member is related to the preceding
Example: "A string of islands"
- noun: stringed instruments that are played with a bow
Example: "The strings played superlatively well"
- noun: a necklace made by a stringing objects together
Example: "A string of beads"
- noun: a tie consisting of a cord that goes through a seam around an opening
Example: "He pulled the drawstring and closed the bag"
- verb: provide with strings
Example: "String my guitar"
- verb: thread on or as if on a string
Example: "String pearls on a string"
- verb: remove the stringy parts of
Example: "String beans"
- verb: string together; tie or fasten with a string
Example: "String the package"
- verb: stretch out or arrange like a string
- verb: add as if on a string
Example: "String these ideas together"
- verb: move or come along
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #67450)
Search for string at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse