Definitions of strike:
- noun: a pitch that is in the strike zone and that the batter does not hit
Example: "This pitcher throws more strikes than balls"
- noun: a score in tenpins: knocking down all ten with the first ball
Example: "He finished with three strikes in the tenth frame"
- noun: an attack that is intended to seize or inflict damage on or destroy an objective
Example: "The strike was scheduled to begin at dawn"
- noun: a group's refusal to work in protest against low pay or bad work conditions
Example: "The strike lasted more than a month before it was settled"
- noun: a gentle blow
- noun: a conspicuous success
- verb: stop work in order to press demands
- verb: arrive at after reckoning, deliberating, and weighing
Example: "Strike a balance"
- verb: indicate (a certain time) by striking
- verb: make a strategic, offensive, assault against an enemy, opponent, or a target
Example: "We must strike the enemy's oil fields"
- verb: produce by manipulating keys or strings of musical instruments, also metaphorically
Example: "The pianist strikes a middle C"
- verb: pierce with force
- verb: cause to form between electrodes of an arc lamp
Example: "Strike an arc"
- verb: deliver a sharp blow, as with the hand, fist, or weapon
Example: "The opponent refused to strike"
- verb: remove by erasing or crossing out
Example: "Please strike this remark from the record"
- verb: produce by ignition or a blow
Example: "Strike fire from the flintstone"
- verb: drive something violently into a location
- verb: cause to experience suddenly
- verb: find unexpectedly
- verb: attain
- verb: affect or afflict suddenly, usually adversely
- verb: hit against; come into sudden contact with
- verb: smooth with a strickle
- verb: touch or seem as if touching visually or audibly
- verb: form by stamping, punching, or printing
Example: "Strike coins"
- verb: occupy or take on
Example: "Strike a pose"
- verb: have an emotional or cognitive impact upon
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #53985)
Search for strike at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse