Definitions of stress:
- noun: the relative prominence of a syllable or musical note (especially with regard to stress or pitch)
Example: "He put the stress on the wrong syllable"
- noun: (physics) force that produces strain on a physical body
Example: "The intensity of stress is expressed in units of force divided by units of area"
- noun: difficulty that causes worry or emotional tension
Example: "She endured the stresses and strains of life"
- noun: special emphasis attached to something
Example: "The stress was more on accuracy than on speed"
- noun: (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense
Example: "Stress is a vasoconstrictor"
- verb: put stress on; utter with an accent
- verb: to stress, single out as important
- verb: test the limits of
Search for stress at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia