Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of stop:
- noun: a brief stay in the course of a journey
Example: "They made a stopover to visit their friends"
- noun: the act of stopping something
Example: "The third baseman made some remarkable stops"
- noun: (music) a knob on an organ that is pulled to change the sound quality from the organ pipes
Example: "The organist pulled out all the stops"
- noun: the event of something ending
Example: "It came to a stop at the bottom of the hill"
- noun: a spot where something halts or pauses
Example: "His next stop is Atlanta"
- noun: a restraint that checks the motion of something
Example: "He used a book as a stop to hold the door open"
- noun: a mechanical device in a camera that controls size of aperture of the lens
- noun: a consonant produced by stopping the flow of air at some point and suddenly releasing it
Example: "His stop consonants are too aspirated"
- noun: a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations
Example: "In England they call a period a stop"
- noun: an obstruction in a pipe or tube
- noun: the state of inactivity following an interruption
Example: "He spent the entire stop in his seat"
- verb: stop from happening or developing
- verb: cause to stop
Example: "Stop a car"
- verb: come to a halt, stop moving
Example: "The car stopped"
- verb: interrupt a trip
Example: "We stopped at Aunt Mary's house"
- verb: have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical
Example: "Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"
- verb: put an end to a state or an activity
- verb: stop and wait, as if awaiting further instructions or developments
- verb: seize on its way
- verb: prevent completion
Example: "Stop the project"
- verb: hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of
- verb: render unsuitable for passage
Example: "Stop the busy road"
Search for stop at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse