Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of stone:
- noun: building material consisting of a piece of rock hewn in a definite shape for a special purpose
Example: "He wanted a special stone to mark the site"
- noun: a lack of feeling or expression or movement
Example: "He must have a heart of stone"
- noun: United States architect (1902-1978)
- noun: United States jurist who served on the United States Supreme Court as Chief Justice (1872-1946)
- noun: United States journalist who advocated liberal causes (1907-1989)
- noun: United States feminist and suffragist (1818-1893)
- noun: United States filmmaker (born in 1946)
- noun: the hard inner (usually woody) layer of the pericarp of some fruits (as peaches or plums or cherries or olives) that contains the seed
Example: "You should remove the stones from prunes before cooking"
- noun: an avoirdupois unit used to measure the weight of a human body; equal to 14 pounds
Example: "A heavy chap who must have weighed more than twenty stone"
- noun: a lump or mass of hard consolidated mineral matter
- noun: material consisting of the aggregate of minerals like those making up the Earth's crust
Example: "Stone is abundant in New England and there are many quarries"
- noun: a crystalline rock that can be cut and polished for jewelry
Example: "She had jewels made of all the rarest stones"
- verb: kill by throwing stones at
Example: "Adulterers should be stoned according to the Koran"
- verb: remove the pits from
- adjective: of any of various dull tannish-gray colors
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 1694 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #158)
Search for stone at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse