Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of stock:
- noun: the merchandise that a shop has on hand
- noun: the handle end of some implements or tools
Example: "He grabbed the cue by the stock"
- noun: the handle of a handgun or the butt end of a rifle or shotgun or part of the support of a machine gun or artillery gun
Example: "The rifle had been fitted with a special stock"
- noun: lumber used in the construction of something
Example: "They will cut round stock to 1-inch diameter"
- noun: any of several Old World plants cultivated for their brightly colored flowers
- noun: a plant or stem onto which a graft is made; especially a plant grown specifically to provide the root part of grafted plants
- noun: persistent thickened stem of a herbaceous perennial plant
- noun: the capital raised by a corporation through the issue of shares entitling holders to an ownership interest (equity)
Example: "He owns a controlling share of the company's stock"
- noun: the reputation and popularity a person has
Example: "His stock was so high he could have been elected mayor"
- noun: the descendants of one individual
- noun: not used technically; any animals kept for use or profit
- noun: an ornamental white cravat
- noun: liquid in which meat and vegetables are simmered; used as a basis for e.g. soups or sauces
Example: "She made gravy with a base of beef stock"
- noun: any of various ornamental flowering plants of the genus Malcolmia
- noun: a supply of something available for future use
- noun: a certificate documenting the shareholder's ownership in the corporation
Example: "The value of his stocks doubled during the past year"
- noun: a special variety of domesticated animals within a species
- verb: have on hand
- verb: provide or furnish with a stock of something
Example: "Stock the larder with meat"
- verb: stock up on to keep for future use or sale
Example: "Let's stock coffee as long as prices are low"
- verb: supply with livestock
Example: "Stock a farm"
- verb: supply with fish
Example: "Stock a lake"
- verb: equip with a stock
Example: "Stock a rifle"
- verb: put forth and grow sprouts or shoots
- adjective: routine
Example: "A stock answer"
- adjective: regularly and widely used or sold
Example: "A stock item"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 25000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #3493)
Search for stock at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...