Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of step:
- noun: the act of changing location by raising the foot and setting it down
Example: "He walked with unsteady steps"
- noun: support consisting of a place to rest the foot while ascending or descending a stairway
Example: "He paused on the bottom step"
- noun: a solid block joined to the beams in which the heel of a ship's mast or capstan is fixed
- noun: a short distance
Example: "It's only a step to the drugstore"
- noun: any maneuver made as part of progress toward a goal
Example: "The police took steps to reduce crime"
- noun: a sequence of foot movements that make up a particular dance
Example: "He taught them the waltz step"
- noun: relative position in a graded series
Example: "Always a step behind"
- noun: a mark of a foot or shoe on a surface
- noun: a musical interval of two semitones
- noun: the sound of a step of someone walking
Example: "He heard footsteps on the porch"
- noun: the distance covered by a step
Example: "He stepped off ten paces from the old tree and began to dig"
- verb: put down or press the foot, place the foot
Example: "Step on the brake"
- verb: walk a short distance to a specified place or in a specified manner
Example: "Step over to the blackboard"
- verb: move with one's feet in a specific manner
Example: "Step lively"
- verb: furnish with steps
Example: "The architect wants to step the terrace"
- verb: cause (a computer) to execute a single command
- verb: place (a ship's mast) in its step
- verb: move or proceed as if by steps into a new situation
Example: "She stepped into a life of luxury"
- verb: shift or move by taking a step
Example: "Step back"
- verb: measure (distances) by pacing
Example: "Step off ten yards"
- verb: treat badly
Example: "She is always stepping on others to get ahead"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #77680)
Search for step at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse