Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of stay:
- noun: continuing or remaining in a place or state
Example: "They had a nice stay in Paris"
- noun: (nautical) brace consisting of a heavy rope or wire cable used as a support for a mast or spar
- noun: a thin strip of metal or bone that is used to stiffen a garment (e.g. a corset)
- noun: a judicial order forbidding some action until an event occurs or the order is lifted
Example: "The Supreme Court has the power to stay an injunction pending an appeal to the whole Court"
- noun: the state of inactivity following an interruption
Example: "The momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"
- verb: stop a judicial process
Example: "The judge stayed the execution order"
- verb: continue in a place, position, or situation
Example: "After graduation, she stayed on in Cambridge as a student adviser"
- verb: stop or halt
Example: "Please stay the bloodshed!"
- verb: stay the same; remain in a certain state
Example: "Stay alone"
- verb: fasten with stays
- verb: stay put (in a certain place)
Example: "We are staying in Detroit"
- verb: remain behind
Example: "I had to stay at home and watch the children"
- verb: a trial of endurance
- verb: overcome or allay
- verb: dwell
Example: "You can stay with me while you are in town"
- verb: stay behind
Example: "The smell stayed in the room"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #54053)
Search for stay at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse