Definitions of stand:
- noun: a defensive effort
Example: "The army made a final stand at the Rhone"
- noun: a stop made by a touring musical or theatrical group to give a performance
Example: "A one-night stand"
- noun: tiered seats consisting of a structure (often made of wood) where people can sit to watch an event (game or parade)
- noun: a small table for holding articles of various kinds
Example: "A bedside stand"
- noun: an interruption of normal activity
- noun: a growth of similar plants (usually trees) in a particular area
Example: "They cut down a stand of trees"
- noun: the position where a thing or person stands
- noun: a support for displaying various articles
- noun: a booth where articles are displayed for sale
- noun: a platform where a (brass) band can play in the open air
- noun: a support or foundation
- noun: a mental position from which things are viewed
- verb: be in some specified state or condition
Example: "I stand corrected"
- verb: hold one's ground; maintain a position; be steadfast or upright
Example: "I am standing my ground and won't give in!"
- verb: be tall; have a height of; copula
Example: "She stands 6 feet tall"
- verb: be in effect; be or remain in force
Example: "The law stands!"
- verb: remain inactive or immobile
Example: "Standing water"
- verb: occupy a place or location, also metaphorically
Example: "We stand on common ground"
- verb: have or maintain a position or stand on an issue
Example: "Where do you stand on the War?"
- verb: be available for stud services
- verb: be standing; be upright
Example: "We had to stand for the entire performance!"
- verb: put into an upright position
Example: "Can you stand the bookshelf up?"
- verb: withstand the force of something
Example: "Stand the test of time"
- verb: put up with something or somebody unpleasant
Search for stand at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse