Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of stall:
- noun: a tactic used to mislead or delay
- noun: a booth where articles are displayed for sale
- noun: a compartment in a stable where a single animal is confined and fed
- noun: a malfunction in the flight of an aircraft in which there is a sudden loss of lift that results in a downward plunge
Example: "The plane went into a stall and I couldn't control it"
- noun: small area set off by walls for special use
- noun: small individual study area in a library
- verb: put into, or keep in, a stall
Example: "Stall the horse"
- verb: deliberately delay an event or action
Example: "She doesn't want to write the report, so she is stalling"
- verb: come to a stop
Example: "The car stalled in the driveway"
- verb: cause an engine to stop
Example: "The inexperienced driver kept stalling the car"
- verb: cause an airplane to go into a stall
- verb: experience a stall in flight, of airplanes
- verb: postpone doing what one should be doing
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #12513)
Search for stall at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse