Lyrics and poems
Definitions of square:
- noun: a hand tool consisting of two straight arms at right angles; used to construct or test right angles
Example: "The carpenter who built this room must have lost his square"
- noun: any artifact having a shape similar to a plane geometric figure with four equal sides and four right angles
Example: "A checkerboard has 64 squares"
- noun: a formal and conservative person with old-fashioned views
- noun: someone who doesn't understand what is going on
- noun: the product of two equal terms
Example: "Gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance"
- noun: (geometry) a plane rectangle with four equal sides and four right angles; a four-sided regular polygon
Example: "You can compute the area of a square if you know the length of its sides"
- noun: something approximating the shape of a square
- noun: an open area at the meeting of two or more streets
- verb: pay someone and settle a debt
Example: "I squared with him"
- verb: be compatible with
Example: "One idea squares with another"
- verb: cause to match, as of ideas or acts
- verb: raise to the second power
- verb: make square
Example: "Square the circle"
- verb: position so as to be square
Example: "He squared his shoulders"
- verb: turn the oar, while rowing
- verb: turn the paddle; in canoeing
- adjective: characterized by honesty and fairness
Example: "A square deal"
- adjective: having four equal sides and four right angles or forming a right angle
Example: "A square peg in a round hole"
- adjective: rigidly conventional or old-fashioned
- adverb: firmly and solidly
Example: "Hit the ball squarely"
- adverb: in a square shape
Example: "A squarely cut piece of paper"
- adverb: with honesty and fairness
Example: "Dealt squarely with his customers"
- adverb: in a straight direct way
Example: "Looked him squarely in the eye"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #11624)
Search for square at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
Copyright © 2015 Datamuse