Definitions of sponge:
- noun: primitive multicellular marine animal whose porous body is supported by a fibrous skeletal framework; usually occurs in sessile colonies
- noun: a porous mass of interlacing fibers the forms the internal skeleton of various marine animals and usable to absorb water or any porous rubber or cellulose product similarly used
- noun: someone able to acquire new knowledge and skills rapidly and easily
Example: "She soaks up foreign languages like a sponge"
- noun: a follower who hangs around a host (without benefit to the host) in hope of gain or advantage
- verb: gather sponges, in the ocean
- verb: wipe with a sponge, so as to clean or moisten
- verb: soak up with a sponge
- verb: erase with a sponge; as of words on a blackboard
- verb: ask for and get free; be a parasite
Search for sponge at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse