Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of spell:
- noun: a verbal formula believed to have magical force
Example: "He whispered a spell as he moved his hands"
- noun: a psychological state induced by (or as if induced by) a magical incantation
- noun: a time for working (after which you will be relieved by someone else)
Example: "A spell of work"
- noun: a period of indeterminate length (usually short) marked by some action or condition
Example: "A spell of good weather"
- verb: indicate or signify
Example: "I'm afraid this spells trouble!"
- verb: recite the letters of or give the spelling of
Example: "How do you spell this word?"
- verb: place under a spell
- verb: write or name the letters that comprise the conventionally accepted form of (a word or part of a word)
Example: "He spelled the word wrong in this letter"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #6200)
Search for spell at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...