Definitions of specific:
- noun: a medicine that has a mitigating effect on a specific disease
Example: "Quinine is a specific for malaria"
- noun: a fact about some part (as opposed to general)
- adjective: relating to or distinguishing or constituting a taxonomic species
Example: "Specific characters"
- adjective: stated explicitly or in detail
Example: "Needed a specific amount"
- adjective: (sometimes followed by `to') applying to or characterized by or distinguishing something particular or special or unique
Example: "Rules with specific application"
- adjective: being or affecting a disease produced by a particular microorganism or condition; used also of stains or dyes used in making microscope slides
Example: "Quinine is highly specific for malaria"
Search for specific at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia