Definitions of spare:
- noun: a score in tenpins; knocking down all ten after rolling two balls
- noun: an extra car wheel and tire for a four-wheel vehicle
- noun: an extra component of a machine or other apparatus
- verb: give up what is not strictly needed
Example: "He asked if they could spare one of their horses to speed his journey"
- verb: refrain from harming
- verb: save or relieve from an experience or action
Example: "I'll spare you from having to apologize formally"
- verb: use frugally or carefully
- adjective: not taken up by scheduled activities
Example: "Spare time on my hands"
- adjective: just sufficient
Example: "The library had a spare but efficient look"
- adjective: thin and fit
Example: "The spare figure of a marathon runner"
- adjective: kept in reserve especially for emergency use
Example: "A spare tire"
- adjective: lacking in amplitude or quantity
Example: "A spare diet"
- adjective: more than is needed, desired, or required
Example: "Sleeping in the spare room"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #54110)
Search for spare at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse