Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of sound:
- noun: the particular auditory effect produced by a given cause
Example: "The sound of rain on the roof"
- noun: the subjective sensation of hearing something
Example: "He strained to hear the faint sounds"
- noun: the sudden occurrence of an audible event
Example: "The sound awakened them"
- noun: a large ocean inlet or deep bay
Example: "The main body of the sound ran parallel to the coast"
- noun: mechanical vibrations transmitted by an elastic medium
Example: "Falling trees make a sound in the forest even when no one is there to hear them"
- noun: the audible part of a transmitted signal
- noun: a narrow channel of the sea joining two larger bodies of water
- noun: (phonetics) an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
- verb: appear in a certain way
Example: "This sounds interesting"
- verb: give off a certain sound or sounds
Example: "This record sounds scratchy"
- verb: make a certain noise or sound
- verb: cause to sound
Example: "Sound the bell"
- verb: announce by means of a sound
Example: "Sound the alarm"
- verb: measure the depth of (a body of water) with a sounding line
- verb: utter with vibrating vocal chords
- adjective: free from moral defect
Example: "A man of sound character"
- adjective: financially secure and safe
Example: "Sound investments"
- adjective: in good condition; free from defect or damage or decay
Example: "A sound timber"
- adjective: thorough
Example: "A sound thrashing"
- adjective: having legal efficacy or force
Example: "A sound title to the property"
- adjective: reflects weight of sound argument or evidence
Example: "A sound argument"
- adjective: in excellent physical condition
Example: "A sound mind in a sound body"
- adjective: (of sleep) deep and complete
Example: "A sound sleeper"
- adjective: exercising or showing good judgment
Example: "A sound approach to the problem"
- adverb: deeply or completely
Example: "Slept soundly through the storm"
Search for sound at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse