Definitions of solitary:
- noun: confinement of a prisoner in isolation from other prisoners
Example: "He was held in solitary"
- noun: one who lives in solitude
- adjective: enjoyed or performed alone
Example: "Took a solitary walk"
- adjective: separated from or unfrequented by others; remote or secluded
Example: "A solitary retreat"
- adjective: of plants and animals; not growing or living in groups or colonies
Example: "Solitary bees"
- adjective: characterized by or preferring solitude in mode of life
Example: "A man of a solitary disposition"
- adjective: lacking companions or companionship
Example: "A solitary traveler"
Search for solitary at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse