Synonyms / Related
Definitions of sober:
- verb: cause to become sober
Example: "A sobering thought"
- verb: become sober after excessive alcohol consumption
Example: "Keep him in bed until he sobers up"
- verb: become more realistic
Example: "After thinking about the potential consequences of his plan, he sobered up"
- adjective: not affected by a chemical substance (especially alcohol)
- adjective: lacking brightness or color; dull
Example: "Sober Puritan gray"
- adjective: dignified and somber in manner or character and committed to keeping promises
Example: "As sober as a judge"
- adjective: completely lacking in playfulness
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #19419)
Search for sober at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...