Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of so:
- noun: the syllable naming the fifth (dominant) note of any musical scale in solmization
- adverb: in order that
Example: "He stooped down so he could pick up his hat"
- adverb: to a very great extent or degree
Example: "The idea is so obvious"
- adverb: (usually followed by `that') to an extent or degree as expressed
Example: "He was so tired he could hardly stand"
- adverb: in such a condition or manner, especially as expressed or implied
Example: "They're happy and I hope they will remain so"
- adverb: to a certain unspecified extent or degree
Example: "I can only go so far with this student"
- adverb: in the same way; also
Example: "I was offended and so was he"
- adverb: in truth (often tends to intensify)
Example: "He did so do it!"
- adverb: subsequently or soon afterward (often used as sentence connectors)
Example: "And so home and to bed"
- adverb: in the way indicated
Example: "Hold the brush so"
- name: A female given name (rare: 1 in 50000 females; popularity rank in the U.S.: #2668)
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #8527)
Search for so at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...