Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of slur:
- noun: (music) a curved line spanning notes that are to be played legato
- noun: a disparaging remark
Example: "It is difficult for a woman to understand a man's sensitivity to any slur on his virility"
- noun: a blemish made by dirt
- verb: utter indistinctly
- verb: speak disparagingly of; e.g., make a racial slur
Example: "Your comments are slurring your co-workers"
- verb: play smoothly or legato
Example: "The pianist slurred the most beautiful passage in the sonata"
- verb: become vague or indistinct
Search for slur at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...