Definitions of silence:
- noun: the absence of sound
Example: "He needed silence in order to sleep"
- noun: the state of being silent (as when no one is speaking)
Example: "There was a shocked silence"
- noun: a refusal to speak when expected
Example: "His silence about my contribution was surprising"
- noun: the trait of keeping things secret
- verb: keep from expression, for example by threats or pressure
Example: "All dissenters were silenced when the dictator assumed power"
- verb: cause to be quiet or not talk
Example: "Please silence the children in the church!"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #78146)
Search for silence at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia