Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of sign:
- noun: a perceptible indication of something not immediately apparent (as a visible clue that something has happened)
Example: "He showed signs of strain"
- noun: a public display of a (usually written) message
Example: "He posted signs in all the shop windows"
- noun: a character indicating a relation between quantities
Example: "Don't forget the minus sign"
- noun: a gesture that is part of a sign language
- noun: a fundamental linguistic unit linking a signifier to that which is signified
Example: "The bond between the signifier and the signified is arbitrary--de Saussure"
- noun: (medicine) any objective evidence of the presence of a disorder or disease
Example: "There were no signs of asphixiation"
- noun: structure displaying a board on which advertisements can be posted
Example: "The highway was lined with signboards"
- noun: an event that is experienced as indicating important things to come
Example: "It was a sign from God"
- noun: having an indicated pole (as the distinction between positive and negative electric charges)
Example: "Charges of opposite sign"
- noun: any communication that encodes a message
Example: "Signals from the boat suddenly stopped"
- noun: (astrology) one of 12 equal areas into which the zodiac is divided
- verb: engage by written agreement
Example: "They signed two new pitchers for the next season"
- verb: approve and express assent, responsibility, or obligation
Example: "Have you signed your contract yet?"
- verb: be engaged by a written agreement
Example: "He signed to play the casino on Dec. 18"
- verb: communicate in sign language
Example: "I don't know how to sign, so I could not communicate with my deaf cousin"
- verb: mark with one's signature; write one's name (on)
Example: "She signed the letter and sent it off"
- verb: communicate silently and non-verbally by signals or signs
Example: "He signed his disapproval with a dismissive hand gesture"
- verb: place signs, as along a road
Example: "Sign an intersection"
- verb: make the sign of the cross over someone in order to call on God for protection; consecrate
Search for sign at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse