Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of shell:
- noun: the hard largely calcareous covering of a mollusc
- noun: ammunition consisting of a cylindrical metal casing containing an explosive charge and a projectile; fired from a large gun
- noun: the housing or outer covering of something
- noun: a very light narrow racing boat
- noun: a rigid covering that envelops an object
Example: "The satellite is covered with a smooth shell of ice"
- noun: the exterior covering of a bird's egg
- noun: the hard usually fibrous outer layer of some fruits especially nuts
- noun: the material that forms the hard outer covering of many animals
- noun: hard outer covering or case of certain organisms such as arthropods and turtles
- noun: a metal sheathing of uniform thickness (such as the shield attached to an artillery piece to protect the gunners)
- verb: look for and collect shells by the seashore
- verb: hit the pitches of hard and regularly
Example: "He shelled the pitcher for eight runs in the first inning"
- verb: fall out of the pod or husk
Example: "The corn shelled"
- verb: remove from its shell or outer covering
Example: "Shell the legumes"
- verb: use explosives on
Example: "The enemy has been shelling us all day"
- verb: remove the husks from
- verb: come out better in a competition, race, or conflict
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 20000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #2399)
Search for shell at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse