Definitions of sheer:
- verb: cause to sheer
Example: "She sheered her car around the obstacle"
- verb: turn sharply; change direction abruptly
- adjective: not mixed with extraneous elements
Example: "Sheer wine"
- adjective: very steep; having a prominent and almost vertical front
Example: "A sheer descent of rock"
- adjective: so thin as to transmit light
Example: "Sheer silk stockings"
- adverb: directly
Example: "He fell sheer into the water"
- adverb: straight up or down without a break
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #78273)
Search for sheer at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse