Definitions of shear:
- noun: a large edge tool that cuts sheet metal by passing a blade through it
- noun: (usually plural) large scissors with strong blades
- noun: (physics) a deformation of an object in which parallel planes remain parallel but are shifted in a direction parallel to themselves
Example: "The shear changed the quadrilateral into a parallelogram"
- verb: cut with shears
Example: "Shear hedges"
- verb: cut or cut through with shears
- verb: shear the wool from
Example: "Shear sheep"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #12730)
Search for shear at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse