Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of sharp:
- noun: a long thin sewing needle with a sharp point
- noun: a musical notation indicating one half step higher than the note named
- adjective: raised in pitch by one chromatic semitone
Example: "C sharp"
- adjective: harsh
Example: "Sharp criticism"
- adjective: having or made by a thin edge or sharp point; suitable for cutting or piercing
Example: "A sharp knife"
- adjective: keenly and painfully felt; as if caused by a sharp edge or point
Example: "A sharp pain"
- adjective: quick and forceful
Example: "A sharp blow"
- adjective: very sudden and in great amount or degree
Example: "A sharp drop in the stock market"
- adjective: marked by practical hardheaded intelligence
- adjective: (of something seen or heard) clearly defined
Example: "A sharp photographic image"
- adjective: high-pitched and sharp
- adjective: very penetrating and clear and sharp in operation
Example: "Of sharp and active intellect"
- adjective: ending in a sharp point
- adjective: extremely steep
Example: "A sharp drop"
- adjective: sour or bitter in taste
- adjective: having or demonstrating ability to recognize or draw fine distinctions
Example: "As sharp and incisive as the stroke of a fang"
- adverb: changing suddenly in direction and degree
Example: "The road twists sharply after the light"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 3030 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #332)
Search for sharp at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse