Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of shade:
- noun: protective covering that protects something from direct sunlight
Example: "They used umbrellas as shades"
- noun: a representation of the effect of shade in a picture or drawing (as by shading or darker pigment)
- noun: a quality of a given color that differs slightly from a primary color
Example: "After several trials he mixed the shade of pink that she wanted"
- noun: a position of relative inferiority
Example: "An achievement that puts everything else in the shade"
- noun: relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body
Example: "It is much cooler in the shade"
- noun: a mental representation of some haunting experience
- noun: a slight amount or degree of difference
Example: "The new model is a shade better than the old one"
- noun: a subtle difference in meaning or opinion or attitude
Example: "Don't argue about shades of meaning"
- verb: protect from light, heat, or view
Example: "Shade your eyes when you step out into the bright sunlight"
- verb: represent the effect of shade or shadow on
- verb: cast a shadow over
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 25000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #3155)
Search for shade at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Follow us on Twitter. You probably won't regret it.
There'll be a new contest in a few months.
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse