Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of serve:
- noun: (sports) a stroke that puts the ball in play
Example: "His powerful serves won the game"
- verb: do military service
Example: "She served in Vietnam"
- verb: work for or be a servant to
Example: "May I serve you?"
- verb: devote (part of) one's life or efforts to, as of countries, institutions, or ideas
Example: "She served the art of music"
- verb: contribute or conduce to
Example: "The scandal served to increase his popularity"
- verb: promote, benefit, or be useful or beneficial to
Example: "Art serves commerce"
- verb: serve a purpose, role, or function
Example: "The tree stump serves as a table"
- verb: spend time in prison or in a labor camp
- verb: put the ball into play
Example: "It was Agassi's turn to serve"
- verb: do duty or hold offices; serve in a specific function
Example: "He served as head of the department for three years"
- verb: provide (usually but not necessarily food)
Example: "We serve meals for the homeless"
- verb: help to some food; help with food or drink
Example: "I served him three times, and after that he helped himself"
- verb: mate with
Example: "Male animals serve the females for breeding purposes"
- verb: deliver a warrant or summons to someone
- verb: be used by; as of a utility
Example: "The sewage plant served the neighboring communities"
- verb: be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity
Example: "Nothing else will serve"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #78340)
Search for serve at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse