Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of section:
- noun: one of several parts or pieces that fit with others to constitute a whole object
Example: "A section of a fishing rod"
- noun: a self-contained part of a larger composition (written or musical)
Example: "He always turns first to the business section"
- noun: a segment of a citrus fruit
Example: "He ate a section of the orange"
- noun: a small team of policemen working as part of a police platoon
- noun: a small army unit usually having a special function
- noun: a division of an orchestra containing all instruments of the same class
- noun: (geometry) the area created by a plane cutting through a solid
- noun: a distinct region or subdivision of a territorial or political area or community or group of people
Example: "No section of the nation is more ardent than the South"
- noun: a very thin slice (of tissue or mineral or other substance) for examination under a microscope
Example: "Sections from the left ventricle showed diseased tissue"
- noun: a land unit of 1 square mile measuring 1 mile on a side
- noun: the cutting of or into body tissues or organs (especially by a surgeon as part of an operation)
- noun: one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole
Example: "The finance section of the company"
- noun: a specialized division of a large organization
Example: "She got a job in the historical section of the Treasury"
- verb: divide into segments
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #54338)
Search for section at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...