Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of seal:
- noun: any of numerous marine mammals that come on shore to breed; chiefly of cold regions
- noun: a device incised to make an impression; used to secure a closing or to authenticate documents
- noun: fastener that provides a tight and perfect closure
- noun: a finishing coat applied to exclude moisture
- noun: a stamp affixed to a document (as to attest to its authenticity or to seal it)
Example: "The warrant bore the sheriff's seal"
- noun: the pelt or fur (especially the underfur) of a seal
Example: "A coat of seal"
- noun: fastener consisting of a resinous composition that is plastic when warm; used for sealing documents and parcels and letters
- noun: an indication of approved or superior status
- noun: a member of a Naval Special Warfare unit who is trained for unconventional warfare
Example: "SEAL is an acronym for Sea Air and Land"
- verb: decide irrevocably
Example: "Sealing dooms"
- verb: hunt seals
- verb: close with or as if with a seal
Example: "She sealed the letter with hot wax"
- verb: make tight; secure against leakage
Example: "Seal the windows"
- verb: affix a seal to
Example: "Seal the letter"
- verb: cover with varnish
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 20000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #2728)
Search for seal at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse