Definitions of screen:
- noun: protective covering consisting of a metallic netting mounted in a frame and covering windows or doors (especially for protection against insects)
- noun: a covering that serves to conceal or shelter something
Example: "They crouched behind the screen"
- noun: partition consisting of a decorative frame or panel that serves to divide a space
- noun: display on the surface of the large end of a cathode-ray tube on which is electronically created
- noun: a white or silvered surface where pictures can be projected for viewing
- noun: something that keeps things out or hinders sight
- noun: a door that is a screen to keep insects from entering a building through the open door
Example: "He heard the screen slam as she left"
- noun: a strainer for separating lumps from powdered material or grading particles
- verb: project onto a screen for viewing
Example: "Screen a film"
- verb: examine in order to test suitability
Example: "Screen these samples"
- verb: test or examine for the presence of disease or infection
Example: "Screen the blood for the HIV virus"
- verb: examine methodically
Example: "Screen the suitcases"
- verb: prevent from entering
- verb: protect, hide, or conceal from danger or harm
- verb: separate with a riddle, as grain from chaff
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #21906)
Search for screen at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse