Definitions of scan:
- noun: the act of scanning; systematic examination of a prescribed region
Example: "He made a thorough scan of the beach with his binoculars"
- noun: an image produced by scanning
Example: "He analyzed the brain scan"
- verb: examine hastily
Example: "She scanned the newspaper headlines while waiting for the taxi"
- verb: examine minutely or intensely
Example: "The surgeon scanned the X-ray"
- verb: conform to a metrical pattern
- verb: read metrically
Example: "Scan verses"
- verb: make a wide, sweeping search of
Example: "The beams scanned the night sky"
- verb: move a light beam over; in electronics, to reproduce an image
- verb: obtain data from magnetic tapes
Search for scan at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Copyright © 2014 Datamuse