Definitions of salute:
- noun: an act of greeting with friendly words and gestures like bowing or lifting the hat
- noun: a formal military gesture of respect
- noun: an act of honor or courteous recognition
Example: "A musical salute to the composer on his birthday"
- verb: become noticeable
Example: "A terrible stench saluted our nostrils"
- verb: express commendation of
Example: "I salute your courage!"
- verb: greet in a friendly way
Example: "I meet this men every day on my way to work and he salutes me"
- verb: recognize with a gesture prescribed by a miltary regulation; assume a prescribed position
Example: "When the officers show up, the soldiers have to salute"
- verb: honor with a military ceremony, as when honoring dead soldiers
- verb: propose a toast to
Search for salute at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse