Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of salt:
- noun: the taste experience when salt is taken into the mouth
- noun: white crystalline form of especially sodium chloride used to season and preserve food
- noun: a compound formed by replacing hydrogen in an acid by a metal (or a radical that acts like a metal)
- noun: negotiations between the United States and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics opened in 1969 in Helsinki designed to limit both countries' stock of nuclear weapons
- verb: preserve with salt
Example: "People used to salt meats on ships"
- verb: add salt to
- verb: add zest or liveliness to
Example: "She salts her lectures with jokes"
- verb: sprinkle as if with salt
Example: "The rebels had salted the fields with mines and traps"
- adjective: of speech that is painful or bitter
Example: "Salt scorn- Shakespeare"
- adjective: containing or filled with salt
Example: "Salt water"
- adjective: one of the four basic taste sensations; like the taste of sea water
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #49632)
Search for salt at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse