Definitions of rule:
- noun: measuring stick consisting of a strip of wood or metal or plastic with a straight edge that is used for drawing straight lines and measuring lengths
- noun: a principle or condition that customarily governs behavior
Example: "It was his rule to take a walk before breakfast"
- noun: (mathematics) a standard procedure for solving a class of mathematical problems
Example: "He determined the upper bound with Descartes' rule of signs"
- noun: any one of a systematic body of regulations defining the way of life of members of a religious order
Example: "The rule of St. Dominic"
- noun: prescribed guide for conduct or action
- noun: directions that define the way a game or sport is to be conducted
Example: "He knew the rules of chess"
- noun: (linguistics) a rule describing (or prescribing) a linguistic practice
- noun: the duration of a monarch's or government's power
Example: "During the rule of Elizabeth"
- noun: a rule or law concerning a natural phenomenon or the function of a complex system
Example: "The right-hand rule for inductive fields"
- noun: a basic generalization that is accepted as true and that can be used as a basis for reasoning or conduct
- noun: dominance or power through legal authority
Example: "The rule of Caesar"
- noun: something regarded as a normative example
Example: "Violence is the rule not the exception"
- verb: keep in check
Example: "Rule one's temper"
- verb: have an affinity with; of signs of the zodiac
- verb: decide with authority
- verb: decide on and make a declaration about
- verb: mark or draw with a ruler
Example: "Rule the margins"
- verb: exercise authority over; as of nations
- verb: be larger in number, quantity, power, status or importance
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #5649)
Search for rule at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Copyright © 2014 Datamuse