Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of rough:
- noun: the part of a golf course bordering the fairway where the grass is not cut short
- verb: prepare in preliminary or sketchy form
- adjective: not perfected
Example: "A rough draft"
- adjective: (of persons or behavior) lacking refinement or finesse
Example: "She was a diamond in the rough"
- adjective: having or caused by an irregular surface
Example: "Trees with rough bark"
- adjective: of the margin of a leaf shape; having the edge cut or fringed or scalloped
- adjective: unpleasantly stern
Example: "The nomad life is rough and hazardous"
- adjective: not carefully or expertly made
Example: "Rough carpentry"
- adjective: ready and able to resort to force or violence
Example: "They were rough and determined fighting men"
- adjective: not shaped by cutting or trimming
Example: "Rough gemstones"
- adjective: full of hardship or trials
Example: "They were having a rough time"
- adjective: violently agitated and turbulent
Example: "Rough weather"
- adjective: not quite exact or correct
Example: "A rough guess"
- adjective: unpleasantly harsh or grating in sound
- adverb: with rough motion as over a rough surface
Example: "Ride rough"
- adverb: with roughness or violence (`rough' is an informal variant for `roughly')
Example: "He was pushed roughly aside"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #22674)
Search for rough at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse