Definitions of rock:
- noun: pitching dangerously to one side
- noun: a lump or mass of hard consolidated mineral matter
Example: "He threw a rock at me"
- noun: (figurative) someone who is strong and stable and dependable
Example: "He was her rock during the crisis"
- noun: United States gynecologist and devout Catholic who conducted the first clinical trials of the oral contraceptive pill (1890-1984)
- noun: material consisting of the aggregate of minerals like those making up the Earth's crust
Example: "That mountain is solid rock"
- noun: hard stick bright-colored stick candy typically peppermint flavored
- noun: a genre of popular music originating in the 1950s; a blend of Black rhythm-and-blues with White country-and-western
Example: "Rock is a generic term for the range of styles that evolved out of rock'n'roll."
- verb: move back and forth or sideways
Example: "The ship was rocking"
- verb: cause to move back and forth
Example: "Rock the cradle"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 12500 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1662)
Search for rock at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse