Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of rise:
- noun: the act of changing location in an upward direction
- noun: an increase in cost
Example: "They asked for a 10% rise in rates"
- noun: a growth in strength or number or importance
- noun: a movement upward
Example: "They cheered the rise of the hot-air balloon"
- noun: increase in price or value
- noun: the property possessed by a slope or surface that rises
- noun: the amount a salary is increased
- noun: (theology) the origination of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost
- noun: a wave that lifts the surface of the water or ground
- noun: an upward slope or grade (as in a road)
Example: "The car couldn't make it up the rise"
- verb: rise up
- verb: exert oneself to meet a challenge
Example: "Rise to a challenge"
- verb: increase in value or to a higher point
- verb: rise in rank or status
- verb: become heartened or elated
- verb: move upward
- verb: come up, of celestial bodies
Example: "The sun also rises"
- verb: increase in volume
- verb: become more extreme
- verb: return from the dead
Example: "Christ is risen!"
- verb: be promoted, move to a better position
- verb: rise to one's feet
- verb: take part in a rebellion; renounce a former allegiance
- verb: come into existence; take on form or shape
- verb: go up or advance
- verb: come to the surface
- verb: get up and out of bed
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #32971)
Search for rise at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse