Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of reverse:
- noun: (American football) a running play in which a back running in one direction hands the ball to a back running in the opposite direction
- noun: the gears by which the motion of a machine can be reversed
- noun: the side of a coin or medal that does not bear the principal design
- noun: an unfortunate happening that hinders of impedes; something that is thwarting or frustrating
- noun: a relation of direct opposition
Example: "We thought Sue was older than Bill but just the reverse was true"
- noun: turning in the opposite direction
- verb: turn inside out or upside down
- verb: change to the contrary
Example: "The trend was reversed"
- verb: rule against
- verb: annul by recalling or rescinding
- adjective: of the transmission gear causing backward movement in a motor vehicle
Example: "In reverse gear"
- adjective: reversed (turned backward) in order or nature or effect
- adjective: directed or moving toward the rear
Search for reverse at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse