Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of return:
- noun: a coming to or returning home
Example: "On his return from Australia we gave him a welcoming party"
- noun: the act of returning to a prior location
Example: "They set out on their return to the base camp"
- noun: (American football) the act of running back the ball after a kickoff or punt or interception or fumble
- noun: a tennis stroke that returns the ball to the other player
Example: "He won the point on a cross-court return"
- noun: a reciprocal group action
Example: "In return we gave them as good as we got"
- noun: the occurrence of a change in direction back in the opposite direction
- noun: the income arising from land or other property
Example: "The average return was about 5%"
- noun: the act of someone appearing again
- noun: getting something back again
- noun: the key on electric typewriters or computer keyboards that causes a carriage return and a line feed
- noun: happening again (especially at regular intervals)
Example: "The return of spring"
- noun: document giving the tax collector information about the taxpayer's tax liability
Example: "His gross income was enough that he had to file a tax return"
- noun: a quick reply to a question or remark (especially a witty or critical one)
- verb: bring back to the point of departure
- verb: return in kind
Example: "Return a compliment"
- verb: submit (a report, etc.) to someone in authority
- verb: make a return
Example: "Return a kickback"
- verb: come back to place where one has been before, or return to a previous activity
- verb: return to a previous position; in mathematics
Example: "The point returned to the interior of the figure"
- verb: be inherited by
Example: "The land returned to the family"
- verb: pay back
- verb: give back
- verb: elect again
- verb: go back to a previous state
- verb: be restored
Example: "Her old vigor returned"
- verb: go back to something earlier
- verb: pass down
- verb: give or supply
- verb: answer back
Search for return at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse