Definitions of retreat:
- noun: (military) withdrawal of troops to a more favorable position to escape the enemy's superior forces or after a defeat
Example: "The disorderly retreat of French troops"
- noun: (military) a bugle call signaling the lowering of the flag at sunset
- noun: (military) a signal to begin a withdrawal from a dangerous position
- noun: a place of privacy; a place affording peace and quiet
- noun: withdrawal for prayer and study and meditation
Example: "A religious retreat"
- noun: an area where you can be alone
- verb: move away, as for privacy
Example: "The Pope retreats to Castelgondolfo every summer"
- verb: make a retreat from an earlier commitment or activity
- verb: pull back or move away or backward
- verb: move back
Search for retreat at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse