Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of rest:
- noun: freedom from activity (work or strain or responsibility)
- noun: a support on which things can be put
Example: "The gun was steadied on a special rest"
- noun: a musical notation indicating a silence of a specified duration
- noun: euphemisms for death (based on an analogy between lying in a bed and in a tomb)
Example: "She was laid to rest beside her husband"
- noun: a state of inaction
Example: "A body will continue in a state of rest until acted upon"
- noun: a pause for relaxation
Example: "People actually accomplish more when they take time for short rests"
- noun: something left after other parts have been taken away
Example: "He threw away the rest"
- verb: be inactive, refrain from acting
Example: "The committee is resting over the summer"
- verb: be inherent or innate in;
- verb: take a short break from one's activities in order to relax
- verb: give a rest to
Example: "He rested his bad leg"
- verb: not move; be in a resting position
- verb: put something in a resting position, as for support or steadying
Example: "Rest your head on my shoulder"
- verb: be at rest
- verb: have a place in relation to something else
Example: "The responsibility rests with the Allies"
- verb: rest on or as if on a pillow
- verb: stay the same; remain in a certain state
Example: "Rest assured"
- verb: sit, as on a branch
Search for rest at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse