Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of represent:
- verb: be a delegate or spokesperson for; represent somebody's interest or be a proxy or substitute for, as of politicians and office holders representing their constituents, or of a tenant representing other tenants in a housing dispute
Example: "I represent the silent majority"
- verb: be representative or typical for
Example: "This period is represented by Beethoven"
- verb: take the place of or be parallel or equivalent to
- verb: point out or draw attention to in protest or remonstrance
Example: "Our parents represented to us the need for more caution"
- verb: describe or present, usually with respect to a particular quality
Example: "He represented this book as an example of the Russian 19th century novel"
- verb: serve as a means of expressing something
Example: "The flower represents a young girl"
- verb: create an image or likeness of
Example: "The painter represented his wife as a young girl"
- verb: be the defense counsel for someone in a trial
Example: "Ms. Smith will represent the defendant"
- verb: form or compose
Example: "This sum represents my entire income for a year"
- verb: be characteristic of
- verb: to establish a mapping (of mathematical elements or sets)
- verb: bring forward and present to the mind
Example: "We cannot represent this knowledge to our formal reason"
- verb: perform (a play), especially on a stage
- verb: play a role or part
- verb: express indirectly by an image, form, or model; be a symbol
Search for represent at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse