Synonyms / Related
Definitions of reed:
- noun: a vibrator consisting of a thin strip of stiff material that vibrates to produce a tone when air streams over it
Example: "The clarinetist fitted a new reed onto his mouthpiece"
- noun: United States physician who proved that yellow fever is transmitted by mosquitoes (1851-1902)
- noun: United States journalist who reported on the October Revolution from Petrograd in 1917; founded the Communist Labor Party in America in 1919; is buried in the Kremlin in Moscow (1887-1920)
- noun: tall woody perennial grasses with hollow slender stems especially of the genera Arundo and Phragmites
- noun: a musical instrument that sounds by means of a reed
- name: A surname (very common: 1 in 819 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #55)
- name: A male given name (rare: 1 in 10000 males; popularity rank in the U.S.: #661)
Search for reed at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...