Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of reduce:
- verb: simplify the form of a mathematical equation of expression by substituting one term for another
- verb: narrow or limit
Example: "Reduce the influx of foreigners"
- verb: cook until very little liquid is left
Example: "The cook reduced the sauce by boiling it for a long time"
- verb: be the essential element
- verb: lessen and make more modest
Example: "Reduce one's standard of living"
- verb: make smaller
Example: "Reduce an image"
- verb: make less complex
Example: "Reduce a problem to a single question"
- verb: bring to humbler or weaker state or condition
Example: "He reduced the population to slavery"
- verb: cut down on; make a reduction in
Example: "Reduce your daily fat intake"
- verb: take off weight
- verb: reposition (a broken bone after surgery) back to its normal site
- verb: undergo meiosis
Example: "The cells reduce"
- verb: lower in grade or rank or force somebody into an undignified situation
Example: "She reduced her niece to a servant"
- verb: be cooked until very little liquid is left
Example: "The sauce should reduce to one cup"
- verb: reduce in size; reduce physically
- verb: to remove oxygen from a compound, or cause to react with hydrogen or form a hydride, or to undergo an increase in the number of electrons
- verb: lessen the strength or flavor of a solution or mixture
- verb: put down by force or intimidation
- verb: reduce in scope while retaining essential elements
Search for reduce at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse