Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of red:
- noun: the quality or state of the chromatic color resembling the hue of blood
- noun: a tributary of the Mississippi River that flows eastward from Texas along the southern boundary of Oklahoma and through Louisiana
- noun: the amount by which the cost of a business exceeds its revenue
Example: "The company operated in the red last year"
- noun: emotionally charged terms used to refer to extreme radicals or revolutionaries
- adjective: red with or characterized by blood
Example: "Waving our red weapons o'er our heads- Shakespeare"
- adjective: having any of numerous bright or strong colors reminiscent of the color of blood or cherries or tomatoes or rubies
- adjective: characterized by violence or bloodshed
Example: "Convulsed with red rage- Hudson Strode"
- adjective: (especially of the face) reddened or suffused with or as if with blood from emotion or exertion
Example: "Turned red from exertion"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #6840)
Search for red at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2018 Datamuse