Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of record:
- noun: the sum of recognized accomplishments
Example: "The lawyer has a good record"
- noun: an extreme attainment; the best (or worst) performance ever attested (as in a sport)
Example: "He tied the Olympic record"
- noun: a compilation of the known facts regarding something or someone
Example: "Al Smith used to say, `Let's look at the record'"
- noun: anything (such as a document or a phonograph record or a photograph) providing permanent evidence of or information about past events
Example: "The film provided a valuable record of stage techniques"
- noun: a document that can serve as legal evidence of a transaction
Example: "They could find no record of the purchase"
- noun: the number of wins versus losses and ties a team has had
Example: "At 9-0 they have the best record in their league"
- noun: a list of crimes for which an accused person has been previously convicted
Example: "He ruled that the criminal record of the defendant could not be disclosed to the court"
- noun: sound recording consisting of a disc with continuous grooves; formerly used to reproduce music by rotating while a phonograph needle tracked in the grooves
- verb: be aware of
- verb: register electronically
Example: "They recorded her singing"
- verb: make a record of; set down in permanent form
- verb: indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments
- verb: be or provide a memorial to a person or an event
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #10031)
Search for record at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Tip: Use RhymeZone to brainstorm synonyms and related words!
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse